Generally, success comes to the brave, out of hard work. Vijay Shankar has earned the amazing feat of getting a wicket off the first ever ball he bowled in a World Cup Match. To achieve this feat, fate had to move heaven and earth to get him in the right place at the right time.
Here is the sequence of events:
- His selection for the World Cup 2019 squad was a surprise. This is where the 3D concept started – he was supposed to be available as a batsman, bowler and fielder. Rayudu was left out of the squad. Vijay however was not chosen as part of the playing XI when the matches started.
- Shikhar Dhawan’s injury created the next break. He was drafted into the playing XI probably to be in the dangerous no. 4 slot. He wasn’t expected to open the innings
- His time with the bat during the match was brief but he managed 15 runs in the last few overs at a run a ball. He came in after Hardik, Dhoni and Rohit left in quick succession.
- As India started bowling, Bhuvneshwar Kumar was forced out as he had an injury niggle midway through an over. So Vijay was called in to complete the over
- First ball in and wham…..Imam-Ul-Haq is trapped in front! He doesnt even review and Vijay Shankar joins the elite squad of cricketers who have struck gold in their first ever World Cup ball.
- He later lives up to his 3D calling – he picks up a great catch in the outfield and also manages another wicket. Twitter erupts and Vijay Shankar trends everywhere!